Definition of advertising according to experts
Understanding of advertising has been defined differently by several people. Some understanding according to some experts:
- Wood: Advertising causes knowing to be remembered, to be done.
- Richard Buskirk: Advertising is a form of payment for a presentation of ideas, goods, or non-personal services by the identified sponsor.
- William J. Stanton: Advertising consists of all activities that involve in presenting to groups, non-personal, verbal or visual messages, which are openly sponsored regarding dissemination through one or more media and paid for by the sponsor who is identified.
- Wheeler: Advertising is any form of presentation of paid non-personal ideas, goods or services for the purpose of making people buy.
Based on the understanding of advertising according to the experts above, the nature of advertising is the strongest element in a promotion.
Basically, advertising has the purpose to disseminate information about product characteristics to customers to sell products and increase sales.
In general, the definition of advertising is an activity to inform or provide information about something, goods or services through the media both online and offline.
Some examples of advertising media that are often used include television, newspapers, radio, magazines, blogs, social media, banners, brochures, etc.
The purpose of the ad
In general, advertisements have a purpose to sell something products, services or ideas. In other words, advertising is an effective form of communication between producers and consumers.
Here are some advertising goals or functions:
1. Introducing new products to consumers
One of the goals or functions of advertising is to introduce a new product to the community.
This is because many people have not used the product before.
This is where advertising introduces and conveys the basis of the new product.
2. Creating demand.
The purpose of the next advertisement is to create consumer demand for the product or service you sell. With the existence of advertisements, it is expected to increase sales of products or services.
Customers must always be reminded of the product or brand that you are selling so they are encouraged to buy the product.
You can direct new customers to buy products by providing information about product quality or about how your product can change their lives.
3. Facing competition
Another important goal of advertising is to face competition from competitors.
The use of advertisements can usually help to build a brand image or develop consumer loyalty to your brand.
4. Increase the likelihood of products being accepted in the market
Advertising usually also aims to increase the possibility of the product being accepted by the market.
With advertising, it can certainly help the market get to know the product you are advertising so that the product can be accepted in the market.
5. Inform customers about changes.
Usually every time there is a change in price, product type, quality improvement, packaging, etc. the manufacturer can inform this through advertising.
6. Facing competing advertisements
One of the advertising goals that many people don’t know is to neutralize competing ads.
When your competitor applies a promotional strategy with intensive equivalent advertising, to neutralize the effect you must follow a similar method.
7. Limiting new competitors
When you succeed in building a positive image with your ad, this will help you keep away from new competitors.
Thus this can build a monopoly on your product so that new competitors will find it difficult to grab the market you have.
Benefits of advertising
Various benefits of advertising can be obtained if your promotional strategy is right.
Among them is advertising can expand the knowledge of consumers or consumers can also find and buy your product without wasting a lot of time and energy.
Of course, this can increase sales and increase labor efficiency in distribution and reduce sales costs.
This has proven that the importance of advertising in modern marketing strategies.
Benefits of advertising for Manufacturers
- Increase sales volume by creating interest in products.
- Helps easily introduce new products to the market by the same manufacturer.
- Helps create image and reputation not only from products but also from producers or advertisers. Retail prices, maintenance are also made possible by advertisements where price appeal is a promotional strategy.
- This helps to establish direct contact between producers and consumers.
- Streamlining product demand. Save products from seasonal fluctuations by finding new and new products.
- Creating a highly responsive market and thus accelerating turnover that results in lower inventory.
- Unit sales costs are reduced due to increased sales volume. As a result, excess products will be reduced due to mass production and sales.
- Advertising gives employees a sense of pride in their work and in that attentive service. So that inspires executives and workers to improve their efficiency.
- Advertising is needed to meet the competition in the market and to survive.
Benefits of advertising for traders and retailers
- The easy sale of products is possible because consumers are aware of the product and its quality.
- Increase stock turnover rates because requests have been made in advertisements.
- Complete sales activities.
- Increase the reputation of traders and retailers because they do not need to spend anything on advertising products that have been advertised properly.
- Ensure sales are more economical because sales overhead is reduced.
- Allows them to have product information.
Benefits of advertising for consumers
- Advertising emphasizes quality and is very often priced. This is an indirect guarantee to consumers for quality and price. A further large-scale production which is assumed by advertising allows sellers to sell products at lower costs.
- Advertising helps eliminate intermediaries by building direct contact between producers and consumers. This results in cheaper goods.
- Helping them know where and when the product is available. This reduces their shopping time.
- Providing opportunities for customers to compare the benefits and disadvantages of various substitute products.
- Perhaps the only medium in which consumers can find out the variety and new uses of the product.
- Modern advertising is very informative.
Benefits of advertising for Salesmen
Incomplete method of salesman promotion without advertisements. This is where advertising serves as the forerunner of a salesman in selling goods.
Sales salesmen are profitable with advertisements in the following ways:
- Introducing products is very easy and convenient because manufacturers have advertised goods that inform consumers about their products and quality.
- Advertising prepares the land needed for a seller to start his work effectively. Therefore sales efforts are reduced.
- The seller can weigh the effectiveness of the advertisement when he makes direct contact with consumers.
For the sake of discussion about the definition of advertising, the purpose and benefits of advertising that must be known.