What is Computer?, The computer comes from the Latin word “computare” which means counting, concluding or thinking together.
Based on this, the word computer can be interpreted as a tool that performs calculations.
Understanding computers is an electronic machine that can solve various problems, process data, store & retrieve data and perform calculations faster and more efficiently than humans.
A computer definition is a device that is programmed with a set of instructions to perform certain tasks and produce results with very high speeds.
You can use a computer to type documents, send emails, play games, and browse the Web.
You can also use it to edit or create spreadsheets, presentations, and even videos.
Types of computers
When most people hear the word computer, they think of personal computers such as desktops or laptops.
However, computers come in various shapes and sizes, and they perform many different functions in everyday life.
Computer Classification: Based on Size and Strength
The computer is different based on its data processing capabilities. They are classified according to purpose, data handling, and functionality.
According to functionality, computers are classified as:
- Analog Computers: Computers that represent numbers by a number of changing physical quantities, whose variants imitate the properties of some of the systems being modeled.
- Personal computers: A personal computer is a small and inexpensive computer. The term “personal computer” is used to describe desktop computers.
- Workstation: Terminal or desktop computer in a network. In this context, workstations are just general terms for user machines (client machines) different from “servers” or “mainframes.”
- Minicomputer: A minicomputer is not too mini. At least, unlike most of us think about mini. You know how much your personal computer and family are related.
- Mainframe: This refers to the type of large computer that runs the entire company.
- Supercomputer: This is the biggest, fastest, and most expensive computer in the world.
- Microcomputers: Your personal computer is a microcomputer.
The basic components of modern digital computers are Input Devices, Output Devices, Central Processing Units (CPUs), mass storage devices and memory.
A typical modern computer uses LSI Chips.
Four Functions about computers are:
- 1. Input (data)
Input is raw information that is entered into the computer from the input device. This is a collection of letters, numbers, pictures, etc.
- 2. Process
The process is data operations according to instructions given. This is really the internal process of a computer system.
- 3. Output
The output is the data that is processed by the computer after processing data. The output function is also referred to as Results. We can save this result on a storage device for future use.
- 4. Storage
The next computer function is information storage. In this storage is done differently depending on the information that will be used.
The information is stored in the main memory and some are stored in additional memory.
Some facts about computers
- The first digital computer was developed between 1940 and 1945.
- Konrad Zuse, In 1941 developed “Z3”, the first modern computing machine.
- Konrad Zuse is considered a “computer inventor”.
- ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator & Computer) is the first electronic computer built in the US.
- ENIAC was developed by John Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert.
- The world’s first stored computer program is “Manchester Baby” which was developed in 1948.
- “Manchester Baby” is a small-scale experimental computer developed at Victoria University in Manchester.
- In the first generation of computers, computers were built with vacuum tubes.
- In 1957, FORTRAN (Formula Translator) was introduced.
- Computers are built with transistors in the second generation of computers.
- In the third generation of computers, transistors are replaced with integrated circuits.
- In the fourth generation of computers, microprocessors are used to build computers.
- In 1981, IBM PCs with Intel processors and MS-Dos were introduced.
- 1984, Macintosh Computers was introduced.
- 1985, Microsoft Windows GUI was introduced.
- 1989, Intel 486 computers were introduced.
- 1990, Windows 3.0 Operating System for PC was launched.
- 1991, the World Wide Web was introduced to the general public.
- 1991, Linux operations were developed.
- 1993, Intel Pentium was introduced.
- 1995, the Windows 95 operating system was released.
- In June 1996, the Windows 4.0 operating system was released.
- February 17, 2000, Windows 2000 was released.
- Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001.
- November 30, 2006, Windows Vista is released.
- July 22, 2009, Windows 7 was introduced.
- Windows 8, the successor to Windows 7 was released on October 28, 2012.
Thus a brief discussion about Whats is Computers, Types, and Functions of Computers in the World.